The Town Hall main square, the market hall

Halle

The Town Hall main square, the market hall

The “Maison Commune” was once both a town hall and a classroom. It was replaced in 1893 by the current Town Hall, designed by architect Clovis Normand. As the economic centre of Berck, it is on the town hall square that the fish sale has been held since 1857. As it grew in importance, a metal hall was built in 1865. It was destroyed in February 1944 during a bombing raid. The fish auction takes place at the end of the afternoon on fishing days. The fishermen unload the fish and settle down while the town crier, the "écoreur", prepares the lots. As soon as the bell rings, the sale begins. It ends when the lots are completely sold out. The "voituriers", most of whom were farmers, were responsible for transporting the fishing equipment on a cart, "the balloon", and transported the fish from the beach to the market. The "chasses-marées" were responsible for bringing the fish inland. Once the fishing is done, and the product sold, comes the "partichage": the money is divided between each member of the crew.

Partichage