With the growing number of holidaymakers, the Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste in Berck-Ville was too far away and the Chapel of the Maritime Hospital had become too cramped, so as early as 1877 plans were made to build a new church in the Berck-Plage district. In 1882, construction began on plans by Clovis Normand, thanks to the fund-raising efforts of a comité tontinier (collective savings association), subscriptions and the organisation of concerts. President Jules Grévy signed the decree opening the church to worship on 17 November 1886. The church was consecrated as "Notre-Dame-des-Sables" on 22 August 1887 in the presence of the Bishop of Arras. The church has 3 naves and is 35 m long and 14 m wide. A flat apse, extended by six bays in 1926-1927, completes the three naves to the south. The bell tower is covered by a square spire. The windows have stained glass windows by the master glass artist Levêque from Beauvais, and the walls are decorated with murals by René and Luc-Olivier Lesieur. They depict the life of Christ. The pitchpin (marsh pine) roof structure is built using the "Hammer beam" method, a style typical of 15th-century English Gothic architecture, making it a very rare monument in the north of France. It stands 13 metres high. Its walls are an alternation of red and ochre bricks.
One of a kind, the church is listed as a Historic Monument