On 9 and 10 March 1842, a terrible storm swept along the Channel coast. Forty-eight sailors disappeared and around twenty were found on the beaches of Berck, but none of the victims were from Berck. To commemorate this tragic event, a calvary was erected near the Place de l'Entonnoir on the path leading to the lighthouse. This calvary was later moved, then rebuilt at the entrance to the Hôpital Maritime and finally reinstalled in 1999 facing the sea, close to the Baie d'Authie. The nine-metre-high Calvary we know today has evolved over the years. The wooden Christ was replaced by a cast-iron one, and it was inspired by another calvary, "Le Christ de la Marine", which stood in the Place de L'Entonnoir, destroyed during the construction of the Atlantic Wall.
The Christ of the original Calvary can be admired at the Church of Notre-Dame-des-Sables.