The Rothschild district

The Rothschild family discovered Berck when the Maritime Hospital was inaugurated by Empress Eugénie in 1869. In 1871, James de Rothschild had a hospital built in memory of his father Nathaniel, who had died the previous year. All around, a new district gradually developed. Chalets large and small lined the streets. Eclectic in design, they all featured overhanging roofs, bow windows, balconies and verandas.

The area became the preferred location for boarding houses, sanatoriums and residences for rent. The destruction of the Second World War would radically transform the area.

A bow window is a window that projects from the façade of a building. It provides extra light and space.